Friday, November 16, 2012

My Week - Still Standing!

So what a week.  This week was one of the hardest I have had I think so far, but some good came out of it for sure.  I was feeding James last night and thinking about how lucky I am to have such great friends here in Perth.  It is tough, almost all of us are without family close, and so friendships get close quickly and people become the family that is far away.

I feel like I spent most of my time this week asking advice and whining about my kids.  In my defense, let me give you the high level bits.  Cassie and Marcus caused Mike and I to both play bad cop, bad cop for bedtime 3 nights in a row, and it got to the point where we could give them away.  screaming, kicking the doors, crying, throwing things, Cassie going to bed with no dinner, it was nuts.  We continued with no listening, then I asked the kids to go outside while I fed James....Oh my.  Cassie threw a chain we use for hanging swings at the glass sliding door, in a fit of anger.  The next day saw Marcus dragging Cassie down a hill by her hair, and the following day, ahhhh Friday I got woken up by Cassie punching Marcus in the face and splitting his lip.    What love. 

I have to say in all that yesterday Marcus made funny noises to James all the way home to make him laugh.  Cassie and Marcus played guess who together and then went to bed with only a couple of times getting up, and slept in their beds for the whole night!  Progress.

Back to the reason of this post.  I need to have people realize how much I appreciate their help, and that I would be lost without them.  My mom who talked me off the ledge for almost 2 hours on Thursday reassuring me that this is normal, and unfortunately my parents never found the great bedtime solution...at least I know I am in good company!

Getting to go on a coupe of moms groups and playdates makes me realize I am not alone, and that we all have our things of the moment.  Isobel and Kimberley made for a great time drinking coffee, fedding babies and watching our toddlers socialize, hide and create massive chaos.  Laurel and Sandie who listen and offer sympthy and a great ear regardless of how their days have been, thank you.
Emily - my right and often left hand woman.  You make my activities easier, you show me how to do it calm, and with undying patience, even with my wrecker Varner :)
AC, you are my go to for advice and a hug when needed.  Thanks for our phone calls, our sticky beak visit and all your help.
Naomi for reminding me about the excitement of a new baby coming, and how hard each stage seems until it is past and you have survived. 

At the end of this week, i look around my living room at 7:33 in the morning, where I got up at 5:30am.  But I see Marcus playing with dinosaurs, James trying to crawl and babbling to himself, and Cassie dancing away in her room. 

I am blessed, they are good kids with spirit, enthusiasm, determination, and lots of energy.  I am grateful for their health, vibrancy and all their personality.  I love my friends, close and far.  It takes a village has taken on new meaning for me here in Perth, and I am so lucky to have ladies around to prop me up, provide a drink and a laugh, and just understand as I muddle though. 

2 comments:

perfectplans said...

What a beautiful post. You made me laugh and cry! And what a week. Glad you all survived (although it sounds as though there are some battle scars). Love being a part of such a nice village, and thank you for your amazing example of how to be a great and always calm mum.

Laura's Blog said...

great blog! You are alone and are doing a great job with those beautiful babies! Love you and thank you listening to my crap and offering advice too!